April 10, 2017
Meeting held at the State College Borough Building
- Tristan Avelis, President
- Joan Potter, Secretary/Treasurer
- Mark Davison
- Cliff Kanz
- Brian Dempsey
- Jim Serene
- Paul Rito
- Cecily Zhu
- Peter Koby
- Michele Chernega
- Autumn Busbee
The meeting was called to order by Tristan Avelis at 5:40 pm.
- The current cash balance is $5,098.18. One membership renewal of $15 was received, and expenses included: $112 post office box rental fee, $75 League of American Bicyclists membership dues, and $575 for CATA bus tail wraps for display during May Bike Month. Anticipated expenses in the next month include the $50 fee to participate in the Adult Health & Lifestyle Expo at Nittany Mall on May 18th.
- The final CATA bus tail wrap designs were shared. Two buses will display the signs during May. Members are encouraged to take photos if they see a bus with the CentreBike design and share it on Facebook or submit for posting on the website.
- Discussed good locations for roadside message boards to display the 4’ rule. Several locations will host these awareness signs during May Bike Month.
- Mark Davison gave a brief summary of the South Central PA Bike Summit he attended on March 18th. The full report will be sent to Executive Committee for review.
- Paul Rito attended the Rebersburg Elementary School’s bicycle safety presentation on March 23rd and distributed information and youth bicycle helmets donated by the radio station 93.7 The Bus.
- Brian Dempsey, Joan Potter, Tristan Avelis and Scott Mato staffed the CentreBike information table at the Millbrook Marsh Earth Day Birthday celebration on April 10th. Maps of cycling routes were the most requested item by visitors.
- Cecily Zhu noted that two bicycle safety workshops were held for students recently that were taught by Brian Dempsey and Paul Rito, who are both certified League Cycling Instructors.
- Autumn Busbee mentioned the survey for the Action Sports Park in the Borough. The park will accommodate bicyclists, skaters and skateboarders.
- Recommendations were discussed for the 2017 Outstanding Cycling Advocate (OCA) Award. It was moved and seconded to allot funding for the award plaque; all in favor.
- Last year CentreBike donated stickers and snacks for the middle schools’ Battle of the Bikes during May Bike Month. Approval of up to $75 for snacks was requested to do the same again this year; moved and seconded; all in favor.
- Board members Andrew Artz and James Read will be leaving the area in May. Nominations for Vice President will be accepted over the next month and voted on at next meeting.
CentreBike is now utilizing SignUp.com to schedule volunteers for events: https://signup.com/Group/135794046014/
- May Bike Month will kickoff with an information table at Allen Street Gates on April 28th. Many volunteers are needed to staff the table throughout the day.
- Commuter Coffee Fridays will be held from 7:30-8:30am at the following locations in May:
- The Bicycle Shop on May 6th – coffee provided by Rothrock Coffee; volunteers needed to pick up coffee and staff information table
- Freeze Thaw Cycles on May 12th – coffee provided by Rothrock Coffee; volunteers needed to pick up coffee and staff information table
- Central PA Visitor’s Bureau on May 19th [Bike to Work Day] – coffee provider not yet confirmed; volunteers needed to pick up coffee and staff information table
- State College Borough Building on May 26th – coffee provided by the Borough; information table staffed by Autumn Busbee and another volunteer
- The Penn State Spring Bike Count is Wednesday, April 19th from 10:00-2:00. Lunch will be provided to volunteers.
- The Adult Health & Lifestyle Expo is at the Nittany Mall on May 18th from 9:00a-2:00p.
- The Centre Gives campaign is May 9-10th and will be promoted on Facebook and via email. Donations of $50 or more will receive a complimentary one year CentreBike membership.
- The annual membership drive is in May.
- Cecily Zhu mentioned the annual bicycle auction at Lion Surplus will be Thursday, April 27th. The auction starts at 1:00p and bikes can be viewed between 12:00-1:00p.
- There will be a free PSU Bike Workshop on Tuesday, May 2nd from 3:00-5:00p that is open to the community. Participants will learn the rules of the road and bike safety skills before bringing the group outside to a beginner-friendly practice course at the Porter North parking lot. All participants must be 18 years or older and must bring a bike and helmet to participate. Recipients will receive a silicone wrap bike light and coupon to local bike shops. For more information or to RSVP for the event, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Spaces are limited. RSVPs must be received by Monday May 1st. Sponsored by Penn State Transportation Services and University Health Services.
- The next CentreBike general membership meeting will be May 10th at 5:30p in Room 241 at the Borough Building.
There being no further business to come before the meeting, it adjourned at 6:55 pm.
Joan Potter, Secretary