Another Bike Month is just over, but our advocacy work goes on year round.
So, you ask, “What does CentreBike do, and what does it do for me?
- Worked for new bike lanes and paths, bike parking, and bike racks on CATA buses
- Worked with PennDOT to remove side-road rumble strips from many rural roads in our area
- Helped region obtain Bicycle Friendly Community status
- Working through the COG Bicycle Advisory Committee to make sure government officials are responsive to cyclists’ needs and aware of cyclists’ contributions to the Centre Region
- Providing cyclist and driver education in partnership with Centre Parks & Rec and local schools
- Distributiing lights to invisible riders on Campus and in Town.
- and more…
Recent progress with facilities
While CentreBike is not responsible for planning or building any of these paths, we do work with the municipalities and their planners to comment on proposed facilities, suggest new facilities, and support their efforts when they apply for grants – sometimes with just a letter, other times with contributions to matching funds.
- Last year, The Circleville Rd path was completed from Circleville Park to just shy of Scotia Rd. (Patton Township).
- Valley Vista shared use path – pre-construction activities in 2017/2018 and construction in 2019. Runs from Tudek-Circleville Path to Carnegie Drive. (Patton & Ferguson Townships)
- Orchard Rd shared use path/bike lanes. Archeological field work under way, followed by 1st season construction work this fall, completion in 2018. Bike lanes on Orchard will be extended to meet up with path crossing PSU land behind housing . (College Township)
- We’re also encouraging Penn State and College Township to take the Orchard Rd project to it’s next logical step and provide a way from Orchard Rd to Porter Rd with
- Easterly-Westerly Parkway Shared Use Path. While pushed off to 2018/19 due to budget constraints, there are plans for a shared use path from Garner St to Atherton Street along Easterly and Westerly Parkways. This route will eventually continue on Westerly, joining Easterly Pkwy Elementary, the High School to the Orchard Shared Use Path and the Garner Street bike lanes. Safe Routes to School and Complete Streets are a major impetus driving this project. On the Eastern end, we’ve suggested it be continued to University Drive and Walnut Springs/Lederer parks. (State College Borough)
- Bellefonte-Milesburg Shared Use Path. While not technically in our footprint, we contributed to the effort by Milesburg, Bellefonte, and Centre County to study the possibility of building this path. The study is due in December 2018. The long term potential of the Spring Creek Corridor would include a connector to State College via Spring Creek Canyon and eventual expansion of the path beyond Milesburg to Howard, Lock Haven, and Jersey Shore, where it would connect to the Pine Creek Rail Trail. Imagine that! We do!
Click here to sign up or renew